Members 1st cashier’s checks and money orders allow you to make guaranteed payments, with funds available immediately to the payee. Click here for fee information.
What is a cashier’s check?
A cashier’s check is a check issued by Members 1st to a specific third party on behalf of a credit union member. The member pays Members 1st the face value of the check so the recipient can be confident the funds are available. A cashier’s check can be issued for any amount, but primarily used for large payments over $1,000.
Use a cashier’s check if…
- You need to make a payment of over $1,000 for a major transaction, such as buying a home or boat
- You want maximum security to guard against loss or theft of the money
- The payee needs immediate access to the money
How to request a cashier’s check
- A Cashier’s check must be purchased in person only and must be purchased in its own transaction
- They must be payable to some entity (person or business) and may be issued for any amount
- You will then need to be identified and sign to purchase
What is a money order?
A money order is a payment issued by Members 1st to a non-specific third party on behalf of a credit union member. The member pays Members 1st the face value of the money order so the recipient can be confident the funds are available. When issued, money orders are made payable to no one with no payment amount provided so a member can complete this information when needed. The maximum amount that can be issued on a money order is $1,000.
Use a money order if…
- You’re making a payment of less than $1,000
- You're buying something from a third party but don't know the sellers' information
- You’re confident the money order won’t be lost or stolen
How to request a money order
- Money orders must be purchased in person only
- Complete the payee portion of the money order form and sign
- You will need to be identified and sign to purchase a money order
- If you wish to purchase a money order in cash, the funds will be deposited first and then the check will be pulled from that account